Biesemeyer style table saw fence

It was time to upgrade my trusty Delta contractors saw. I had been using this saw for a while as a molder (more about that in a later post). I had removed the stamped sheet metal  extension wings and had cut the fence rails down to minimize the size of the unit. Now that it was to be used as a table saw again, it needed some upgrades. I started searching for cast iron extensions wings on craigslist and after a while I found a Delta uni-saw for parts. I only needed one extension because I was going to build a much wider right hand extension table. When it came to the fence I hemmed and hawed for a while over whether to buy a Delta T-2 or attempt to build my own T-square fence. The Delta T-2 is  economically priced but since I have access to the right fabrication equipment I decided to go for the build. I ended up with a pretty stout fence for a little less than the going rate of the Delta T-2 system. Here is how it went together.

Here is the saw setup as a molder with the power feed up and out of the way.

I installed both cast iron wings from the parts saw but ended up replacing the right one with a custom built extension table.

I used two pieces of 3/4" mdf and some laminate I found at the salvage yard down the street for the table top. I welded up the legs out of some scrap aluminium. The legs have adjustable feet to ensure a flat and level work surface.

I'll start with the finished fence system and show how it went together. I got all the tube and angle from the local pipe yard. I had the high density white plastic for the fence laying around and I salvaged the handle and cam from the stock fence.

Here is a close up of the fence sides. The material is not UHMW. Im not sure what it is but it is slick and very dense. The material was given to me by an engineer who told me it was used for linear bearings. I ripped the pieces to size with the table saw, mitered the corners and routed the chamfer.

This is the heart of the fence. This piece of angle with brass wear pads rides along the main rail and accurately locates the fence. The brass wear pads are glued to two pieces of sheetmetal and backed by nylon adjustment screw to allow for squaring and leveling of the fence.

Machining clearance for the table saw mitre slots on the angle iron that will will locate the square tube fence rail.

Here is a view of a brass wear pad and a nylon adjustment screw of which there are four. Two for adjusting the fence so that it is parallel with the blade and two for adjusting the fence so that it is perpendicular to the table.

The cam and handle from the stock fence worked nicely with the new system.

The guide rail is a piece of 2x2x1/4" wall square tubing bolted to a length of 3x3x1/4" angle.

Another view of the fence setup.

Overall I was quite pleased with the fence. It is stout, accurate and was a challenge to build. I coated the rails with several layers of Teflon and ended up with nice smooth action despite the weight of the fence.